On Tuesday, 31st January, 2023 at the Accra International Conference Centre (AICC), H.E the Vice President of Ghana, Alhaji Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia launched the National Rental Assistance Scheme (NRAS) “… in fulfillment of the manifesto promised by the Government of H.E Nana Addo Dankwa Akuffo Addo following the difficulties faced by Ghanaians especially the youth in securing decent residential renting especially in urban cities. This challenge, which has been on an increasing trend for the past two decades, is as a result of the high demand for affordable rental properties, compounded by an uncompromising demand of landlords to collect a year or two years of rent advance from potential tenants.” As stated in the media advisory published on 26th January, 2023.
WHAT IS (NRAS)?
“As part of efforts to increase access to safe, secure and affordable rental housing for lower-income households and the youth across the country, the Government of Ghana has developed a Scheme known as the National Rental Assistance Scheme (NRAS) to, among other things, facilitate accessibility and affordability for rental housing by riddling Ghanaians particularly the low –to-middle income households and the youth from the unfair burden of the multiyear rent advance payments.” The Media advisory stated. This simply means, NRAS will pay your rent advance for you and you will pay back to NRAS monthly.
The Minister for Works and Housing, Francis Asenso-Boakye (MP) says the Government of Ghana is bringing on board GHS30 million for the execution of the scheme.
REGIONS (NRAS) WILL COVER
The National Rental Assistance Scheme (NRAS) initially will cover only (6) regions in the country. These regions include; Greater Accra, Bono East, Northern, Eastern, Western, and Ashanti.
WHAT MAKES YOU ELIGIBLE?
For an individual to be eligible for this Scheme, he/she must;
- Be a citizen of Ghana
- Have a Ghana card
- Must be 18years and above
- Must be working and earning an income
- You must have a verifiable bank statement or mobile money statement.
- Your rent payable must not exceed 30 percent of the household income.
THE (NRAS) PROCESS
When you are qualified (meaning you have all the above provided), these are steps to follow;
- Look for a property of your choice and make it known to NRAS filling a formal online application. (www.nras.gov.gh)
- You will now be required to show proof of employment (3month’s pay slip), proof of income (3months bank statements), show 2 forms of IDs, and make payment of GHS100 as application processing fee.
- In 5-10 business days, NRAS will verify your application and supporting documents, as well as determine your affordability and the ability to pay back.
- After your approval, NRAS will contact chosen landlord, conduct an inspection on rental property, sign all tenancy documents and pay the rent advance straightly to your landlord.
- You are then given access to the rental property.
NB rent payment is always due on the 1st of each month.